Sponsorship Process Sponsoring a family member is a two-step process consisting of the Sponsorship Application and the Permanent Residency Application. The sponsor initiates the sponsorship, and at the same time, the Permanent Residency application is initiated by the family member being sponsored.
Sponsor Eligibility Sponsors must generally meet the following requirements for eligibility:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Apply to sponsor a family member.
- Reside in Canada (or, in some cases, abroad as long as the sponsor demonstrates their intention to reside in Canada when the family member becomes a Permanent Resident)
- Not be subject to any bars to sponsorship
- Fulfill financial requirements unless exempt
- Sign in Undertaking* and a Sponsorship Agreement
*The sponsor is financially responsible for the family member being sponsored for a duration ranging from 3 to 20 years, depending on the relationship of the person being sponsored. This commitment is referred to as the "Undertaking."
There are specific rules and requirements defining a Family Sponsorship and what constitutes a Spouse, Common-Law partner, Conjugal partner, Dependent child, etc., for the purposes of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship in Canada. There are also considerations when looking at Bars to Sponsorships. It is, therefore, essential to work closely with an experienced licensed immigration consultant when considering the best options and preparing applications for sponsoring a family member or loved one.
Contact our experienced consultants today to get started!