Labour Market Impact Assessments

LMIA Work Permit Canada

Labour Market Impact Assessments LMIA Work Permit Canada It’s important to work with an experienced immigration consultant when completing an LMIA and Work Permit application. The LMIA is an Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) process and needs to demonstrate that there’s a need for a foreign worker to fill a local job. A positive LMIA will show that no Canadian worker is available to do the job, so the application must be made accurately and effectively with the assistance of an experienced, trained consultant. Even a tiny detail or omission in an LMIA application can cause an adverse decision, resulting in refusals or delays.

Our licensed consultants have experience and training in completing successful LMIAs. Our team members have an industry-leading track record of obtaining positive LMIAs. Our reputation for successful submissions allows us to rank among the top few regarding successful LMIA applications. Call us with questions or to get started with an application.
Thousands of work permits are issued to foreign nationals in Canada each year to help businesses meet their labour needs. A work permit is an authorization granted by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows a foreign national to work legally in Canada. While most occupations require work permits, some fields do not. Click here for a list of professions that do not require a Work Permit.

Call us today

(416) 639-2139 (Local) 1(877) 639-2139 (Toll Free)

complete the form
and a consultant will get
back to you

Free Assessment

Types of Work Permits

A Work Permit can be either for a specific employer and employment arrangement (referred to as an employer-specific work permit) or an open work permit, allowing the foreign national to work almost anywhere (except adult services or striptease) with no restriction on employer name or location.

Most temporary foreign workers admitted to work in Canada are authorized to do so under an employer-specific work permit. Upon the expiration of such a work permit, foreign nationals must leave Canada, extend their access, change their status, or apply for Permanent Residency. Open work permits generally do not require LMIAs or proof of employment offers when applying.

Labour Market Impact Assessments – LMIAs

In order to apply for an employer-specific work permit, a foreign national requires government approval in the form of a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) if the occupation requires one.

Here’s a reference guide to the occupations that require an LMIA.

LMIAs issued to employers are valid for a maximum of 6 months from the date of issuance, and if the LMIA is not used to support a work permit within this time, the employer will be required to apply for a new LMIA.

LMIA Exemptions

some occupations do not require an LMIA to apply for a work permit. Examples of occupations/positions that may be exempt from LMIA confirmation (but still may require work permits) include:

  • Post-doctoral fellows
  • Research award recipients
  • Eminent individuals (e.g., leaders in various fields)
  • Guest lecturers
  • Visiting professors
  • Citizens of the US and Mexico appointed as professors under the International Mobility Program (Canada-International Trade Agreements)
  • Self-Employed Persons
  • Intra-Company Transferees
  • Spouses/Common-Law partners or dependents of Workers or Students (not in all cases; conditions apply)
  • Permanent Resident Applicants under Special Categories
  • Charitable or Religious Workers
  • Humanitarian applicants under specific Categories

Application instructions constantly change; contact our experts for inquiries or assistance with preparing and submitting an LMIA and Work Permit.

Canadian Work Experience

Once a foreign national obtains sufficient experience, they may apply for Permanent Residency based on their ability to become economically established in Canada. Several pathways are available to apply for Foreign Nationals considering working in Canada. They should consult with an experienced licensed immigration consultant to determine the best option for their particular situation. Our team of experts can help assess the individual's qualifications, education, and experience and help determine the best pathway toward obtaining Canadian work experience and, ultimately, Permanent Residency. Call us today to schedule a consultation!

Offering Canadian Immigration Services across Canada and the world. Major Canadian cities include Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Ottawa, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Windsor, St. Catharines, Barrie, Guelph, Kingston, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Vancouver, Surrey, Burnaby, Richmond, Abbotsford, Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, British Columbia, Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke, Québec, St. John's, Mount Pearl, Newfoundland, Halifax, Dartmouth, Sydney, Kentville, Nova Scotia, Fredericton, Saint John, Edmundston, Moncton, New Brunswick, Charlottetown, Cornwall, Prince Edward Island, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Saskatoon, Regina, Saskatchewan, and others.

Free Assessment