Author: Brock Immigration Services Inc. |

Canada ranks among the top few world leaders in education. Over the recent years, hundreds of thousands of students had been admitted to Canada to study in a first-rate education system. In 2017/18, Canada was ranked among the top two of the G8 countries in education.

With Canada’s world-class educational institutions and a vibrant social & economic culture, we can expect to see a continued interest in the Canadian education system.

Student Permits

In general, in order to study in Canada, one must apply for a Student Permit before entering the country. One key requirement for obtaining a Student Permit is to obtain a valid Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). In addition to this requirement, the international student must not have Criminality, Health, or Security issues that may render the applicant inadmissible.

Furthermore, the student is required to show sufficient funds to cover the tuition costs as well as living expenses (for the applicant as well as their accompanying family members).

To qualify here is a short list of requirements:

  • Must be enrolled in an approved program, at a Designated Learning Institute
  • Proof of sufficient funds to pay for tuition fees, living expenses for the applicant and accompanying family members to Canada, return transportation for the applicant with accompanying family members
  • Must be admissible (no criminal record, in good health, in compliance with the current immigration regulations in Canada)
  • Must be able to convince an immigration officer that the applicant will leave Canada at the end of his/her studies

There are some exemptions to requiring a Study Permit for studies. Such exemptions apply to those enrolled in short-term courses (less than 6 months’ in duration), members of the armed forces of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act, family members, and members of the private staff of diplomats/foreign accredited representatives, and minor children in Canada.

Permit requirements are specific and will vary from time to time. Once a candidate obtains a Study Permit, if there are changes to the study program or institution, Immigration Canada (IRCC) should be notified and there may be a requirement to apply for a change to the Study Permit.

Study Permit Extensions

It is also common for students looking to extend their studies to apply for Study Permit Extensions. Typically, it is advised to apply for an extension at least 30 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit. There are other provisions and considerations to take into account when applying for an extension.

In preparing a case and applying for a Study Permit, Extension, or Restoration, it is advisable to work with an experienced licensed immigration consultant who has experience in the specific field. This would provide the most efficient and effective pathway for an applicant.

Contact our offices for the latest in requirements and for assistance with applying for Studies in Canada

Post Graduate Work Permits

Once studying in Canada, there are several pathways for students to apply for Permanent Residency.

For example, after graduating from an eligible program in a Designated Learning Institute, the graduate may be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit allowing him/her to work anywhere and gain experience in Canada. This experience can then be used as the basis to apply for Permanent Residency under the Canadian Experience Class.

Other option would include obtaining a Provincial Nomination from a province in which the candidate wishes to reside after graduation. Such nominations can significantly contribute to the CRS points under the Comprehensive Ranking System in an Express Entry application, that is – can significantly contribute and support the candidate’s Permanent Residency application.

Full-time students may work without a work permit on-campus (or off-campus with conditions) during the period of their studies. There are conditions to working off-campus without a work permit during studies if the program enrolled in is English/French as a Second Language, or a general interest program.

Accompanying Family Members (Student Permits)

An accompanying family member may be eligible for an Open Work Permit allowing this family member to work anywhere (with a few exceptions) in Canada for the duration of the main applicant’s studies/Study Permit.

Family members such as spouses, common-law partners, and dependent children can accompany the student to Canada during their studies under a Student Permit. Accompanying family members will require that the Student have additional funds to support the living expenses of family members while they are in Canada during the study period. This additional money can generally be estimated to be around $3000CDN per accompanying family member. This is an approximation for illustration purposes and actual amounts may vary.

Accompanying dependent minors (under 18) do not require student permits to enroll in school, and such schooling is free for those members.

Accompanying family members planning to enroll in Post-Secondary education generally requires Study Permits.

It is important to understand the requirements of obtaining a Student Permit and to thoroughly prepare and plan an immigration pathway to residency in Canada. In preparing an efficient and effective submission, it is advisable to work with an experienced licensed immigration consultant. Contact our offices/consultants for the latest in requirements and for assistance with applying for Studies in Canada